About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Harris Hikers Solo Adventures Tuesday 12th May 2020

An Afteroon Stroll Around The Block.
A Moorhen on Balderton Brook.
Beluga 4 passing ovehead.
The tide is rising at a whimper.
The rising tide passes Bumper's Lane.
The Police helicopter heading towards England.
Distance: 2.5 miles. Climb: 37'.
Time: 1 hour 25 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.4 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 1.7 m.p.h.
I had intended to have a longer walk today, but after completing my food shopping, it started to rain just after I had put the food away. I decided to have a cup of tea and set off on my walk at about 12-30. 
It still felt a quite cool, so I put on a light fleece jacket and left my shorts in the cupboard.
However it was still pleasant walking conditions, especially as the Sun broke through and I finished the walk in pleasantly warm sunshine.
Arriving at the Riveside on River Lane, I noticed that the tide was just passing, almost unnoticeable and even the by the gulls on the mud bank opposite.
 I waited at the foot pf the Saltney Ferry Footbridge, to let a cyclist with his grandson pass me on the Riverside Path. He turned out to be someone that played in the same football team as I did in 1966 - Saltney Youth Club.
As I was crossing Mold Junction Road Bridge, I crossed onto the other side of the road to allow a young mum with a push chair go through. Seeing my camera and binoculars, she politely ask me "Is a special train expected?"  I merely pointed out that I had only moved to let her pass more easily, but I have been asked the same question many times in the past. They seem to expect everyone on the bridge looking down the trackwith binoculars must be a train spotter. I didn't think it was worthwhile on this occassion informing her that I was trying to spo a Chiffchaff that could be heard calling.
Birds seen or heard today included: Dunnock, Moorhen, Mallard, Goldfinch, Chiffchaff, Common whitethroat, Winter wren, Greenfinch, House sparrow, European robin, Common buzzard, Carrion crow, Great cormorant, Black headed gull, Herring gull, Lesser blackback gull, Common blackbird, Jackdaw, Comon starling, Barn swallow and House martin.
Only one or two Small white butteflies seen and a Cinnebar moth resting on a car in the terrace.
The police helicopter seems to be out most days - not sure who they are checking on - unless it's people from England driving into Wales to start a walk!
Ed's Welsh Wander.
A Flowery Walk to Gell.
Distance: 5 miles.
Welsh poppies.
Red hot pokers.
Prple and pink.
A creeper flowering.
Anyone know the real names of these last two flowers



No comments: