About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Thursday 21 May 2020

Harris Hikers Solo Adventures Thursday 21st May 2020

A Saltney Riverside - Roodee Round Again.
A female Mallard with her ducklings on Balderton Brook.
A Moorhen on Balderton Brook.
A female Blackbirds hides in the grass.
Oystercatcher chicks waiting to be fed.
A House martin collecting mud near to Crane Wharf.
The rising tide passes Saltney Quay.
The Clwydians from Dee Coast Path.
Swallows and Martins.
An oystercather chick looking to be fed.
Follow me.
Distance: 7.2 miles. Climb: 125'.
Time: 3 hours 32 minutes. On the move walking average: 2,6 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.0 m.p.h.
The forecast for the next two days wasn't promising with possible strong winds and even rain on Saturday, so I thought I had better make the most of the good weather today.
On the walk, I got talking to a birdwatcher by Crane Wharf who informed me that the was a Buzzard nesting in the trees opposite by the railway and that he frequently sees Hobbys in the area. Perhaps I need to do a twilight walk along the Riverside Promenade Trail.
 He also informed me that Oystercatchers are the only waders that feed their chicks until they can fly, hence the reason why they can nest on factory roofs.
I also made a mistake in trying to video record with my camera and found a way of recording without picking up the sound.
Plenty of Barn swallows and House martins hunting insects over the river hedge tops and adjacent grass fields that were in the process of being cut.
Birds seen or heard today included: Barn swallow, Common blackbird, Common starling, Jackdaw Carrion crow, Mallard, Moorhen, Oystercatcher, Woodpigeon, Collared dove, Chiffchaff, Common whitethroat, European robin, Blackcap, Black headed gull, Leser black back gull, Herring gull, Greenfinch, Chiffchaff, Common pheasant and Common buzzard.
not so may people out today, lots of quiet periods, even on the Dee Coast Path. My main axe to grind today is the increase in dog "poo" that some dog owners have failed to pick up, that and the increase in face masks and protective gloves.
 I did get a bit of a shock this morning when I started to sort out my white sports socks that I use when walking in sandals, of the ten pairs I have, I only found one pair that didn't have holes in. Hopefully the supermarket will have some next time I do my essemtial shopping. Alternatively I could switch to using my walking boots with my walking socks!

No comments: