About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Saturday 21 November 2020

Talacre, Point of Ayr and Tyn-y-Morfa Saturday 21st November 2020

Talacre, Point of Ayr and Tyn-y-Morfa.
The view from the Talacre path towards the bird hide at Point of Ayr.
A Little egret and two Red breasted mergansers in a gully  south west of Point of Ayr bird hide.
The Eurasian curlew seen from the Point of Ayr bird hide.
Autumn leaves on the path on the south side of the gas terminal.
Another Rook in fields south of Talacre - the second one on the blog this week!
The Great Orme from Prestahaven Sands, Talacre.
Is the Point of Ayr Lighthouse there in the distance?
The north side of the Point of Ayr Lighthouse,  the first time that I have ever seen it!
The distant ocean,  Oystercatchers and a Eurasian curlew.
A Little egret near the beach car park at Talacre.
A Common redshank near the beach car park at Talacre.
The stainless steel artwork at Talacre.
What I love to remember about my visits this delightful part of Flintshire.
Distance: 5.5 miles. Climb: 145'.
Time: 2 hours 4 minutes. On the move walking avwerage: 3.0 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.6 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
The weather looked dry, windy but fairly warm and only a slight chance of a shower, so I thought it was worthwhile taking a walk that wasn't too far away.
I arrived at the Talacre Car Park, and was only the second car there, a contrast to when I finished my walk to find it pretty full. 
It was quite dull as I started the walk, although the Sun did show itself as I headed towards the bird hide at Point of Ayr.
The tide was well out, so I didn't expecto see many birds, a Eurasian curlew was the best I got close up and lots of Shelduck feeding on the exposed mud a good way off.
I decided to follow the path around the gas terminal and head for tyn-y-Morfa, hoping to see a way of visiting the Big Pool Wood NR, but failed t spot how to get to it - a case of try harder next time!
Arriving on the beach at Presthaven Sands, the sea was a long way away, so I took advantage and walk along the firm wet sand as far as the lighthouse.
With the wind at my back, the odd spot of rain was hardly noticeable and for once I actually went on the seaward side of the lighthouse.
Back at the car in just over 2 hours, I suppose my walk could be described as just a morning stroll.
Birds seen or heard today included: Eurasian jay, Common buzzard, Common kestrel, Common starling, Little egret, Canada goose, Eurasian curlew, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Carrion crow, Rook, Great cormorant, Mute swan, Common blackbird, Herring gull,  Black headed gull, European robin and Common redshank.
An after stroll drink was enjoyed at the Blue Bell Inn at Halkyn, where a good pint of Lees Bitter went down well.  I was surprised to see so many cars parked opposite the Blue Bell and in the Blue Bell car park, but haf way through my pint, all was revealed, the Saturday Flintshire Wellbeing Walks had resumed and a few of the walkers (including the leaders) came in for refreshments.

No comments: