About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Saturday 14 November 2020

A Border Check Walk Saturday 14th November 2020

A Border Check Walk.
Great cormorants drying out at The Riverside, River Lane, Saltney.
A Redwing surrounded by lunch.
Border Clowns.
It's raining here, but the top of Moel Famau looks OK.
Distance: 4.7 miles. Climb: 70'.
Time: 1 hour 36 minutes. On the move walking average: 3.2 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.9 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
With no dark clouds on the horizon, very little wind and a temperature of 14.7 Celsius on my outdoor thermometer, I decided it was worth risking a shower, and I set off on one of my regular local riverside walks. It was only when I was at the start of the Wales Coast Path on the England - Wales border that it became windy and started to rain. Thankfully I had my umbrella that at least kept most of me dry, but the bottom of my trouser legs did get wet.
Not many birds around, but those I did see included: Mallard, Moorhen, Lesser black back gull, Herring gull, Black headed gull, Common gull, Great cormorant, Pied wagtail, Blue tit, Great tit, Common blackbird, Black billed magpie, Redwing, House sparrow, Feral pigeon, Common starling and Raven.
As I approached th England - Wales Border at several dog walkers and cyclists crossed the border in both directions, ignoring both Welsh Covid Rules and England Lockdown Rules - they obviously must think these restrictions only apply to other people.
Despite the rain, it was an enjoyable walk, challenging towards then in trying to keep my umbrella from continually turning inside out (thankfully it is an umbrella that doesn't break when turned inside out).

No comments: