About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Wednesday 18 November 2020

Into the Woods and Border Views from Pen-y-ffordd Wednesday 18th November 2020

Into the Woods and Border Views from Pen-y-ffordd.
St John the Baptis Chuch at Pen-y-ffordd from the A5104
St John the Baptis Chuch at Pen-y-ffordd from the car park by the school..
Into the Woods - Rough Piece Wood, part of the Hawarden Estate.
The bridle way - Bannel Lane, once part of the road from Hawarden to Hope,
A delightful section of Bannel Lane.
Hope Mountain in the distance.
"Bull in field", the notice said, I suppose thast means you!
Looking back overr the flooded sectio towards Vounog Hill, Pen-y-ffordd.
"I am happy to have a roof over my head, well just about over my head!"
Another view of Hope Mountain,I should have looked the other way and taken a photo of the Cheshire Plain and the Sandstone hills around Beeston and Peckforton.
Oh no, not another muddy bridle way!
Distance: 8.3 miles. Climb: 741' (584' on my newst GPS).
Time: 3 hours 37 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.7 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.3 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
The walk didn't start well, the route description (provided by the local council) said there would be free parking at the village institute - but not today, the gates were locked!
I ended up parking at the top end of Hawarden Road on a section that was  no through route and just led to some new houses.
The weather was forecast to be showery, but clearing up after lunch,  I must admit it was pretty accurate, the feel like temperature was lower that it was, and I did get a little warm in my full Paramo Winter gear.
The first walk was the "Into the Woods" walk but the description failed at one point, but with the OS Map handy I was able to follow the rights pof way marked and get back on track, Trudging through the first muddy field, I found a silver coin, "how much will it be worth once I have cleaned up?, I wondered. Not a lot it turned out to be a 1935 shilling!
Several of the field paths turned out to be very muddy and flooded, but with care, I managed to get through the problem area without getting wet feet.
I arrived back at Pen-y-fford quite early, so I decided to set of on the "Border Views" walk, even though it started at the opposite end of the village.
I encountered my first problem as soon as I crossed the stile of Vounog Hill, the field near the next stile had a sheet of water infront of it. Thankfully with gaiters and my one piece leather boots I was able to get through, despite my apprehension after seeng a dog walker with her wellies wet more than a foot up the leg!
The second route description was pretty good and easy to follow, and yes I did get good views towards Cheshire and also towards Hope Mountain.
Not many birds seen today, although on the second walk, I did see 15 pied wagtails and a Common buzzard.
Birds seen or heard today included: House sparrow, Common blackbird, Jackdaw, Carrion crow. Woodpigeon (lots of them), Common starling, Black billed magpie and Common buzzard.
Possibly good Winter walks, but onl after a long dery spell. Today was not a good day to do the walk, if you don't like cleaning your boots!


No comments: