About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Thursday 5 November 2020

Harris Hikers Welsh "Stay at Home" Lockdown Walk 9: Both Sides of the River Between Saltney and Queensferry. Thursday 5th November 2020.

Both Sides of the River Between Saltney and Queensferry.
Another migrant Winter visitor - the Fieldfare.
The Arenig Fawr - the tug for the A380 wing barge, now on land.
It was also the cause of me having a "Last of the Summer Wine" experience, like Foggy I didn't look where I as putting my feet when I moved into position totake the photo. Yes, you've guessed - I put my foot in a cow pat!
A Redwing and Fieldfare on the same tree.
Not what I expected - the profile of what looks like a yellow pigeon pinned to the remains of a landing stage.
Common sandpiper near the Blue Bridge.
A Common kestrel on power lines next to the Wales Coast Path.
A Common buzzard, seen south west of Thornleigh Park.
Distance: 9.8 miles. Climb: 82'.
Time: 4 hours 10 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.9 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.3 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
Grey and overcast with little wind, but a feel like temperature of 8 Celsius persuaded me to use my lightweight fleece, but by 11-00 even this was too much and I felt much more comfortable with my fleece back in my rucksack.
Back wearing my walking boots and no longer fearing mud or wet grass, I decided to follow the path on the south side of the river. this proved to be a good decision as it gave me good views of fieldfare to match the Redwings that I saw yesterday.
It was a good vday for raptors with several sightings of Common kestrels, a Sparrowhawk and a Common buzzard, but perhaps the best spot was a Common sandpiper seen on the bank of the river from the Blue Bridge at Queensferry/Garden City.
I saw only four people on my outward route to the Blue Bridge, a few dog walkers and a youngster that informed me that the path under the Queensferry Road Bridge was flooded the last time his friend had tried to use to go to the shops. "what will you do if it is flooded" he asked. He seemed happy when I said I would just have to go back the way I had come.
Thankfully the river was still very low and I could continue on my planned circular route.
On the return route along the Wales Coastal Path, I saw lots of cyclists, but none were trying to break any speed records and most gave appropriate warning of their approach. A few dog walkers and couple of joggers were also using the Wales Coast Path, but the surprise of the day was being overtaken by motorised vehicle -  a lady on a mobility scooter. On her return, she stopped and I ended up chatting to her for about ten minutes.  Thankfully my walks are never a race!
Birds seen or heard today included: Pied wagtail, Herring gull, Black headed gull, Common gull, Black billed magpie, Blue tit, Great tit, European robin, Common blackbird, Woodpigeon, Carrion crow, Common chaffinch, Redwing, Fieldfare, Mallard, Common pheasant Great cormorant, House sparrow, Common starling, Sparrowhawk, Common kestrel, Common buzzard, Dunnock, Canada goose  and Common sandpiper.
This was my longest walk since the start of the Welsh "Stay at Home" lockdown and an enjoyable stroll on what has become my very familar patch!

No comments: