About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Monday 4 January 2021

Both Sides of The Dee with a TATA Extension 4th January 2021

Both Sides of The Dee with a TATA Extension.
Approaching Hawarden Bridge and the start of my TATA Extension.
The Footpath (Right of Way) that runsbetween the river and the steel works.
A little more of the path with Connah's Quay Dock in the distance.
Even more of the path with Connah's Quay Dock in the distance.
The remains of quite a large wooden boat.
Hawarden Bridge from the Right of Way Footpath on my return route.
Skeins of Pink footed geese returning to roost in the esturay over night.
Distance: 12.8 miles. Climb: 181'.
Time: 5 hours 0 minutes. On the move walking avwerage: 3.0 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.5 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
Having cut my Saturday walk short because of the icy conditions underfoot, I was more prepared today as I set off with my Yaktrax attached to my boots. In reality after crossing the Saltney Ferry Footbridge, they became unnecessary and for the rest of the walk I carried them.
The main objective of the walk today was to explore the footpath along the river bank from Hawarden Bridge on the edge of the steelworks.
This was quite an interesting there and back extension andone I will explore further when I haven't already done six miles before getting there!
This is the first time that I have looked across the River Dee to Connah's Quay Dock, giving a totally different perspective of this part of the river.
All along this part of the river are the remains of woodem jetties, seeing the remains of quite a large wooden boat took me by surprise. Only Great cormorants an a Grey heron made use of the jetty remains today.
Birds seen or heard today included: Moorhen, Mallard, Common blackbird, House sparrow, Woodpigeon, European robin, Carrion crow, Grey heron, Great cormorant, Jackdaw, Blue tit, Great tit, Long tailed tit, Common chaffinch, Little egret, Common redshank, Black headed gull, Herring gull, Lesser black back gull, Common kestrel, Common buzzard, Winter wren, Canada goose, Pink footed goose and Goosander,
Overall an enjoyable 5 hour walk, not much climb, but feeling tired enough to know I will sleep well tonight. 
At one point I chatted to an 85 year old man, that I learned had once lived at 53 in the same road as me and found that there was a good number of people that we both still know. In fact my stepmother remembers both him and his wife when they lived at 53.

No comments: