About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Thursday 1 April 2021

A Saltney Ferry, Chester Canal and Greenway Round 1st April 2021

A Great cormorant in the middle of the River Dee.
A Grey heron n the bank of the River Dee.
A Moorhen on the Canal.
Paul and Scrumble on the canal tow path.
A Chiffchaff on the Greenway, south east of Blacon.
Bluebells on the Greenway near Blacon Station.
Primroses near Blacon Station.
The Greenway heading out of Blacon.
A Little egret near Thornleigh Gutter.
The tidal bore appeared just as I arrived on the Wales Coast Path - an unexpected bonus.
Distance: 11.0 miles. Climb: 164'.
Time: 4 hours 46 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.8 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.3 m.p.h,
Beaufort Wind Force: (Easterly) 2-3.
Temperature: 9.7 - 12.2 Celsius.
This was from the Chester Canal, the reverse of the walk that I did with Roger last Saturday.
I was hoping I might find the bottle of sanitiser that fell out of my pocket - alas I didn't find it, but hopefully someon else did and disposed of it appropriately.
It seemed qute cool, although I did wear my shorts and didn't put a fleece on throughout the walk.
The walk started well, as I arrived at the The Riverside on River Lane, I saw a Kingfisher by the Balderton Brook Outflow.
Arriving near the Chester can Basin, I met Paul taking Scrumble for a walk - over 12 months, i think Scrumble still remembered me.
Paul accompanied me along the canal section, but headed back as we approached the Greenway at Blacon.
The Greenway today was a hot spot for Chiffchaff and oce more I was able to photograph one or two. I also heard several Skylarks and my first Willow warbler of the year.
Birds seen or heard today includedL Mallard, Collared dove, Common blackbird, Chiffchaff, Song thrush, Dunnock, House sparrow, Oystercatcher, Woodpigeon, European robin, Great cormorant, Moorhen, Jackdaw, Carrion crow, Raven, Blue tit, Great tit, Grey heron, Common redshank, Common starling, Lesser black back gull, Winter wren and Little egret.
I also saw another Kingfisher on Thornleigh Gutter.
Yet another enjoyable walk starting and finishing at home.

No comments: