About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Sunday 21 February 2021

An Afternoon Stroll - My First Shorts Walk of The Year 21st February 2021


On the wales Coast Path before it became busy.
Problem parking at Higher Ferry.
Common redshank on the bank of the River Dee.
Whooper swans in a field near Deeside House.
Pictures that have appeared on the former Presbyterian Chapel at Saltney Ferry.
I assume the picture on the right is one of Bob Manifold, the last Ferryman.
Distance: 7.1 miles. Climb: 85'.
Time: 2 hours 54 minutes. On the move walking average: 3.1 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.5 m.p.h.
Max wind speed: 7.2 m.p.h. Max temperature: 11.2 Celsius.
Group: Martyn.
I don't usually walk on a Sunday, but having missed out on the previous three days, I decided to set off after I had watched my church, WEF''s online service. The forecast was good, temperature of 12 Celsius, little wind and <10% chance of rain. I suppose I can't complain at getting about ten minutes of "spots of rain".
This was my first walk this year when I have walked in shorts, having chickened out on a few occasions earlier in the month.
The birds seemed quiet at the start of my walk, except for the European robin that seemed to be everywhere.
Birds seen or heard today included: House sparrow, Moorhen, Mallard, Blue tit, Great tit, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Raven, Carrion crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Little egret, Woodpigeon, Common blackbird, Common redshank, Goldfinch, Common starling, Black headed gull, Great cormorant and Whooper swan.
As ever parkling areas at both ends of the footbridge were packed with cars, so it looks like Welsh Government Laws saying you must not travel to the start of your walk is just being ignored by people from Wales and England.
Far too many cyclists out today to make it pleasant walking on the Wales Coast Path, especially when frequently they go past very close (less than 0.5m) from you.
At one point I almost thought I was in Poland and not on the Wales Coast Path as so many people passed me speaking Polish.
This was my first shorts walk of 2021, but hopefully this will be the start of the shorts seaon proper!

No comments: