About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Wednesday 9 December 2020

Moel Famau from Bwlch Penbarra 9th December 2020

Moel Famau from Bwlch Penbarra Including Exploring a "new to me path.
Moel Famau from the new to me forest track.
A different gate to Moel Famau.
Moel Famau is getting closer.
Looking east towards Cheshire from the Jubilee Tower on Moel Famau.
Snow on the Berwyns seen from the Jubilee Tower on Moel Famau.
Approaching a decision - should I take the left path or the right path.
Looking back towards Moel Famau from grassy higher path.
Looking over the Vale of Clwyd to a snow covered Snowdon.
Distance: 3.6 miles. Climb: 932'.
Time: 2 hours 0 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.4 m.p.h.Overall walk average: 1.8 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
It was a little on the cool side, but with very little wind, this was a good day for visiting the Jubilee Tower on Moel Famau.
I set off from the Bwlch Penbarra Car Park (Pay and Display only £1-50 and still some people are too mean to pay and park on the roadside nearby). I decided to explore the forest track that headed north eastward from the car park, eventually turning a corner and climbing steeply back to the main Offa's Dyke Path.
Moel Famau is always a popular place to visit, and today was no exception, although I did have the Jubilee Tower to myself for about five minutes,
Distant views were limited, although you could still see that snow covered the Berwyns and Snowdon.
The strength of the wind only seemed to increase as it funnelled up the stairway to the top of the Jubilee Tower.
There were plenty of new purple coloured notices by the paths, all requesting the dogs should be kept on leads, not all were, but the dogs I did see were all well behaved.
Birds seen or heard today were very few, but included:- Carrion crow, Raven, Black billed magpie and Meadow pipit.
As i approached the grassy higher path back to Bwlch Pebarra, I was a little concerned that I might have to take evaive action from a model airoplane that was being flown. Thankfully the "pilot" spotted me and kept the plane flying about fifty feet above me.
Back at the car by mid-day and looking forward to a hot drink which I enjoyed when I got home - I had forgotten to put the flask in my rucksack!
Overall a very enjoyable walk.

No comments: