About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Wednesday 7 October 2020

Holywell Common, Pantasaph and More Wednesday 7th October 2020

Holywell Common, Pantasaph and More.  
The first of my local lockdown Flintshire Walks.
I couldn't resist this, although in reality the section I explored today was Holywell Mountain, which is of course part of Halkyn Mountain.
The Clwydians ahead, above the track over Holywell Common.
The Peny-Ball Monument, viewed from the south.
Moel Famau and Moel y Parc from the path east of the friary.
The the Church of St. David at Franciscan Friary at Pantasaph.
Not the quickest around the racecourse.
No re-routing need today.
Before.
After.
The view from the Britannia Inn at Halkyn as I was leaving.
Distance: 7.8 miles. Climb: 610'.
Time: 3 hours 5 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.5 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.0 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
Not needing to wait for anyone else to arrive, I set off across Holywell Common at 09-30. Bright skies, but the cool wind forced me to wear my waterproof jacket from the start.
I decided to complete this walk in an anticlockwise direction, the opposite way to the normal way we complete the walk.
It wasn't long before I was crossing the A55 with the Pen-y-Ball Monument on the skyline ahead. Approaching The Franciscan Friary, I explore an alternative path to using the road route, but wasn't able to find the path from the second field. All wasn't lost as there was a a gate leading onto the friary access road.
The route around Holywell Racecourse was only contested by sheep, but they didn't seem to be keen on racing round the course.
I was only completing the eastern section of the racecourse, which was very fortunate as the gate from the road (southernmost side) was flooded to a depth that looked as though it would have resulted in getting wet feet.
Distant views we pretty good, especially towards the Clwydian Hills with Moel y Parc and Moel Famau easily identified.
Lunch was taken just after mid-day and exactly six miles after starting. I was able to take advantage of a picnic table near a bus stop, west of Holywell Golf Club. I could have had lunch in the bus shelter, sheltering from the cool breeze, but alas it was standing room only!
Afer lnch, it was less than two miles back to the start and I did consider extending the walk, but in the end I decided that I would have to "suffer" and go fro an early pint at the Brit!
Birds seen or heard today included: European robin, Goldfinch, Common chaffinch, Woodpigeon, Winter wren, Black billed magpie, Rook, Carrion crow, Jackdaw, Common buzzard and Common kestrel.
At the Brit, I spent a very enjoyable half an hour with the Sun shining through the window as I slowly downed my pint of Lees bitter, savouring every drop. Thankfully I could enjoy a little more of this superb bitter at home, having secured a takeway before leaving.


No comments: