About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Saturday 13 July 2019

The Clywedog Reaservoir from Cyffylliog 13th July 2019

St Mary's Church at Cyffylliog.
The delightful riverside path North west of Cyffylliog.
The vtrack contouring around the West side of Foel Uchaf.
Young pheasants showing the way.
Once a nice path, but now overgrown with Gorse.
Major excavasion work South west of Dibyn Ongc.
I think this was my first views of the Clywedog Reservoir.
The Clywedog Reservoir from the fisherman's path at the East end of the reservoir.
Orchids t the East end of the Clywedog Reservoir,
Alocal resident that seems to be checking me out.
The view to the East from the Carreg-y-gath road to Cyffylliog.
Descending South along the Carreg-y-gath road to Cyffylliog.
Walk stats: Distance: 10.3 miles.  Climb: 1252'.
Time: 4 hours 54 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.7 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.1 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn.
This wasn't a particularly good day for walking, almost identical weather conditions to last Saturday. Although there was dampness in the air for most of the walk, I didn't put my waterproofs on in any part of the walk.
 Visibility wasn't particularly good, and the hills were in cloud all day, in fact at times, I felt I was walking in the cloud too.
 The first problem that I encountered was  gate across the track west of Foel Uchaf, it took me nearly fifteen minutes to move debris/leaves preventing the gate from opening. Unfortunately it was on the wrong side of the gate and using my Leki to push the material away wasn't easy.
 All was going well until about half way along the  forest track West of Dibyn Ongc when the track became overgrown with Gorse. Gorse is bad enough, but wet gorse is even worse. If I had any sense, I would have stopped and put my waterproof trousers on, but didn't and ended getting my shorts soaked. Having left the Gorse behind, I had my best spot of the day, a Brown hare running away from me along the track.
 Further round major excavation work was being done as part of the ongoing Clocaenog Forest Wind Turbine Project.
 Arriving at the Clywedog Reservoir, it was still very misty - there was no chance of seeing any Ospreys had they decided to do any fishing in the lake.
 i couldn't find a suitable place to sop for lunch, so decided to head straight back to Cyffylliog, initially on the Clwydian Way.
 Once on the tarmac road, I decided to take the easy option and follow the road all the way back to the car.
 Birds seen or heard today included: Greenfinch, Common blackbird, Blue tit, Goldfinch, Blackcap, Woodpigeon, Carrion crow, Raven, House martin, Barn swallow and House sparrow.
 Arriving back at Cyfylliog, I saw the next good spot of the day - the Red Lion pub was open.
 A quick change of clothes and I was able to enjoy a pint of Red Lion Special brewed by Facers before heading home.
 Overall a good walk, spoiled a little by the weather and obstacles encountered.

No comments: