About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Thursday 23 August 2018

Around Minera Mountain 23rd August 2018.

The Minera Lead Mine Centre.
Part of the tree-lined path leading North west from the Minera Lead Mine Centre.
The Engine House glimpsed through the trees.
A bit smarter than the last time we went past.
The Minera Quarry - now a Nature Reserve.
The Clwydians from North of Ty Hir Farm.
Some of the many mares and their foals around Ty Hir Farm.
Minera Quarry from the South.
Looking North over Minera Quarry.
Selfie taken at the trig point on Esclusham Mountain. 
The Clwydians in the background with Moel Famau on the right.
The old lime kiln on Esclusham Mountain/Minera Mountain - my lunch spot.
Ty Mawr Reservoir from the path leading from the lime kiln to Fron-deg.
One of views from the "viewpoint" in the Minera Lead Mines Country Park.
Another of views from the "viewpoint" in the Minera Lead Mines Country Park.
Walk stats: Distance: 8.1 miles. Climb: 1152'.
Time: 4 hours 15 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.5 m.p.h. (2.7 m.p.h. om my newest GPS). Overall walk average: 1.9 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn
On Sunday, I was expecting there to be four of us on the walk today, but each day one person dropped out and by 08-45 today there was just me left. Not to be deterred, I decided to go ahead and walk on my own, at the same time investigate the parking situation for the Bersham Ironworks ready for the 8th September.
 I set off from the Minera Lead Mine Centre at about 09-45, hoping that no-one had decided to come on the walk, but hadn't informed me.
 It was a good day for walking, dry and pleasantly cool, especially when crossing the Minera Mountain just before lunch, but with very little sunshine and then only towards the end.
 I decided to take the described route to Ty Hir Farm, rather than the new route on the South east side of the quarry, and then take the path Southward past Park Farm. On hindsight, the better choice is the new route, as I encountered lots of wet ferns and sections that were really overgrown, and one plank footbridge was pretty slippy too!
 Ty Hir Farm would seem to be a stud farm, if the large number of mares and their foals is anything to go by.
  Initially I encountered only dog walkers, but as I approached the Minera - World's End Road, I did meet another solo walker undertaking a walk from the same start point as I had. He was a kindred spirit - another bus pass adventurer as well!
 The views from Minera Mountain were pretty good in all directions, but it wasn't obvious that the Llantysilio Mountain moorland was on fire again.
 Lunch was taken at the old lime kiln South of the trig-point on Esclusham Mountain, where I was able to shelter from the cool breeze and found a suitable stone on which to perch as I drank my soup.
  After lunch the cool breeze was on my back and assisted my progress, probably helping t increase my overall speed to one that is a little higher than usual.
 The last part of the route wasn't good, and on future occasions, I will investigate  route that heads to New Brighton via Brookfield Farm rather than The Wern.
 Birds  seen or heard today included: Woodpigeon, Black-billed magpie, Blue tit, Common chaffinch, Stonechat, Carrion crow, Goldfinch and House sparrow.
 he highlight of the day was seeing a Stoat run across the path only a few feet in front of me as I descended towards Fron-deg.
 Approach the Minera Lead Mining Centre, a waymark pointed towards a "viewpoint", which I thought would be worth visiting.  Getting there I wondered why I bothered!
 I arrived back at the car, having had a good walk, but legs still tingling from the several nettle stings encountered!
 After walk drinks were enjoyed when I got home - a few cups of tea with a drop of whisky added of course!

No comments: