About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-10 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2020:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage, Wendy Peers, Celia de Mengle, Wendy and Ian Peers, Roger Smith, Paul Collinson, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Celia de Mengle, Sue Pearson.

Saturday 9 June 2018

South Stacks Country Park and Cemlyn Bay 9th June 2018

Time correct, but date should be 9th June 2018.
Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.
Memorial to American crew at Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.
Choughs in the Gallery at the Holyhead Breakwater Country Park, but would I see any today!
Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.
Looking along the coast towards Holyhead harbour.


One of may singing birds along the coastal path.
The start of the coastal path to South Stack.
The first view of the lighthouse.
A Meadow pipit on the coastal path.
The South Stack shelter - only needed if it id raining or very windy.
Puffins at South Stack.
Puffin at South Stack.
South Stack Lighthouse fro Ellin's Tower.
Guillemots at South Stack.
Holyhead Mountain.


Choughs on Holyhead Mountain.
Holyhead Harbour as the path descends to the Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.
South Stack Walkl:
Distance: 5,3 miles. Climb: 920'.
time: 3 hours 47 minutes. On the move walking average: 2,1 m.p.h.  (2.6 m.p.h on newest GPS). Overall walk average: 1.4 m.p.h.
Cemlyn Bay walk:
distance: 1.7 miles. Climb: 117'.
Time: 1 hour 5 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.2 m.p.h. (2.7 m.p.h . on my newest GPS). Overall walk average: 1.6 m.p.h.
i arrived at the Holyhead Breakwter Country Park just after 09-20 and was pleased to find that the toilets had already been opened.
As I was quite early, I decided to visit the Gallery at the Holyhead Breakwater Country Park before setting off on the Coastal Path to South Stack. That was a mistake as I crossed the road from the Gallery, I did a Mike Dodd and tripped up giving me a grazed knee, reminding me of experiences when I was in Primary school. After patching my knee up with a large plaster, I set off for South Stack. Still in the car park, I saw and heard two Choughs flying overhead towards the coast.
 This was a perfect day for walking, not too hot, but with plenty of Sunshine. more of a breeze would have been appreciated.
 As I arrived at South Stack, I was greeted by two more Choughs, so all that was needed now was to see the comical clown of the bird world. 
  I set off down the steps towards the lighthouse and it was before reaching the first bend the the Puffins obliged. Several were seen with binoculars, trying to capture them with my camera was much harder, especially as my camera didn't have a view finder. I must have spent about half an hour watching the Puffins flying in, and going in and out of their burrows.
 after emerging from the steps to South Stack, a kindly lady swa that blood had started to trickle down my leg again and offered me an antiseptic wipe. after declining her kind offer I headed to Ellin' Tower expecting to see the nesting Choughs, just below.
 However today, binoculars ans telescopes were not looking at the birds, everyone was looking at two Orca whales - what a bonus, the first that I have ever seen!
 I then set off on the inland path back to the start and was luck enough to encounter two Chough again, but high in the sky they weren't easy to catch on camera.
 after having lunch back at the Holyhead Breakwater Country Park and putting a clean dressing on my knee, I decided to head for Cemlyn Bay and the tern colonies..
Cemlyn Bay.
Cemlyn Bay from the East side.
Terns at Cemlyn Bay.
Terns at Cemlyn Bay.
Terns at Cemlyn Bay.
Shelduck ducklings basking in the Sun at Llyn Llan.
Swans, cygnets and a Shelduck on Llyn Llan.
The Cemlyn lagoon from its Southern shores.
 The short circuit around the Cemlyn lagoon, didn't disappoint, with Common terns, Arctic terns and Roseate terns all in good view, but perhaps the Shelduck ducklings sole the show. However I did make the mistake of not putting my boots back on, trekking across shingle in sandals resulted in many stops to remove small stones!
 This was somewhat compensated by a very pleasant coastal breeze and the superb views of the terns.
 Overall the day had been a good one, especially for anyone interested i n birds and nature in general.
 Birds seen or heard today include: Greenfinch, Moorhem Mallard, Shelduck, Grey heron, Herring gull, Lesser black back, Meadow pipit, Wheatear, Jackdaw, Black-billed magpie, Stonechat, Red billed chough,Guillemot, Puffin, Blackbird Willow warbler Common whitethroat, Carrion crow, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Common tern, Arctic tern, Roseate tern, Shelduck, Black-headed gull, European robin, Willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Linnet and Song thrush.
 A great solo day, celebrated with a glass of Cote du Rhone when I got home.

No comments: