About Me

When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Numbers walking: 2-12, a mid-week and 3-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles. Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). Those involved in 2017:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Annie Hammond, Sue and Dave Pearson, Mike Dodd, David and Anne Savage, Celia de Mengle, Wendy and Ian Peers, Roger and Margaret Smith, Tim and Carol Dwyer, Paul Collinson, Phil Marsland, Sylvia and Dave Jenkins, Sheila McNee, Ed Meads, Elaine and John Greenhalgh, Jim McCabe, Mal Pulford., Joyce Russell

Thursday, 23 November 2017

A Sandbach Walk 24th November 2017

On the towpath from Hassall Green to Sandbach.
On the towpath from Hassall Green to Sandbach.
St. Nary's Church, Sandbach.
Tall Chimnys.
The final approach to Hassall Green.
Not the signs we were expecting.
Walk stats: Distance: 6.9' miles. Climb: 607'.
Time: 3 hours 43 minutes. On the move walking average:2.2 m.p.h. Overall wal average: 1.9 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn, Celia, Mike and David S.
This walk didn't get off to a good start, we arrived at the Waitrose car park in Sandbach to find it full and it took us 10 minutes to get out of it! 
 We set off in search of a new parking place, and i remembered that we did start the walk on a previous occasion at the Salt Line car park at Hassall Green. we arrived there to find that the Salt Line Footpath was closed blocking off the return route of the extension part of the walk.
 The workmen spotted us looking at our maps and pointed out the way we could get round the closure by the M6 road bridge.
 We set off along the tow path in the direction of Sandbach, and it wasn't long before the >5% chance of rain turned into 100%!
 We sheltered underneath a bridge while waterproof trousers were put on by those that hadn't set off wearing them. As the rain stopped I set off on my own, knowing that that they would soon catch up with me, hoping that I might have the opportunity to do a bit of bird watching. Thankfully I did, as it wasn't long before I saw that vivid flash of blue as a Kingfisher flew past me, heading towards the rest of the group. Alas they didn't see it!
 We followed the Trent and Mersey Canal as far as Wheelock Warf where we crossed to the opposite side of the canal before taking a footpath Northward towards Sandbach.
 We arrived at Sandbach at about 12-15, where several seats around Sandbach Crosses seemed like the ideal spot for lunch, but was rejected by one member of the group as being too public!
 We continued on our way, but didn't find anywhere suitable to stop, and ended up using two stiles by Betchton Road near the M6. At least we were in the warm sunshine, even if we could hear the constant drone of the vehicles on the motorway.
 We were expecting the muddy sections to be along the canal towpath, but on this occasion the path South east from the Tall Chimneys was the worst. I must remember that if we do this walk again, not to do it after a heavy spell of rain!
 Having set off after 10-30, we decided not to attempt the extension to the walk, and complete the walk as descried.
 Birds seen or heard today included: Wood nuthatch, Moorhen, Common blackbird, Mallard, Fieldfare, Carrion crow, House sparrow and Kingfisher.
 We arrived at the Farmer's Arms at Kelsall to find that it wasn't open, in fact they were getting it ready to open tomorrow after having been closed since July.
 We were just about to set off in the car, when w were called back and invited to sample some of the beers as they were pulling them through and checking to see that they were all OK in time for the grand Friday opening.
 Celia was happy with the lager that she tried and Mike and David enjoyed draught Guinness. As no real ales were available (still settling in the cellar), I wasn't going to have a drink, but was offered a coffee which also went down well.
 We were all impressed with their welcome and wish this local family well as they try to bring life back into this hostelry. We will certainly return whenever we walk in this side of Cheshire. They had a very friendly black lab called Meg that demanded to be fussed by everyone, including Celia!

No comments: