About Me

When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Numbers walking: 2-12, a mid-week and 3-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles. Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). Those involved in 2017:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Annie Hammond, Sue and Dave Pearson, Mike Dodd, David and Anne Savage, Celia de Mengle, Wendy and Ian Peers, Roger and Margaret Smith, Tim and Carol Dwyer, Paul Collinson, Phil Marsland, Sylvia and Dave Jenkins, Sheila McNee, Ed Meads, Elaine and John Greenhalgh, Jim McCabe, Mal Pulford., Joyce Russell

Thursday, 19 January 2017

Rhuddlan and the Clwyd Estuary 19th January 2017

Grey skies above Rhuddlan Castle as we crossed the River Clwyd.
A single Whooper swan in a field East of the river.
The Whooper swan wasn't on its own, but all fourteen  swans nearby were Mute swans.
A Raven, first heard croaking and then seen at the top of a power pylon.
Looking across the Marine Lake, Rhyl from the South.
A few of the several hundred Lapwing flying above the Marine Lake.
Trees and birds - reflections in the Marine Lake, Rhyl.
Group photo - no trig point today so this is the best that we could do!
On the South west side of the Marine Lake, Rhyl.
The masts of Pont-y-Draig reflected in the marine Lake, Rhyl.
Looking South towards the Clwydian Hills across the Marine Lake.
Distance: 7.4 miles. Climb: 103'.
Time: 3 hours 42 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.5 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.0 m.p.h.
Group: Martyn and Tim (all of the walk), Sue and Michel, Roger, Sue and Dave P (deserted after lunch!).
Slightly unusual arrangements today, as we needed one car to be left by the Marine Lake at Rhyl, even though the walk was starting at Rhuddlan.
 The weather forecast for today was generally overcast, relatively warm and very little wind and chance of rain was said to be <10 p="">
 That was pretty well what we got, although at times there was a "dampness" in the air.
 Five of us set off along the river path on the East side of the River Clwyd as we always do. Thankfully we are creatures of habit, as we had set off not realising that Sue and Dave P were joining us.
Fortunately there were plenty of birds along the first section of the walk that meant that we had made several stops to watch them and they manage to catch us up, although Dave said at one point he was almost running!
 The unexpected birds of the day was a Whooper swan and a Raven, both clearly seen from the footpath.
 Other birds seen or heard today included: Lapwing, Common redshank, Grey heron, Pied wagtail, Woodpigeon, Shelduck, Teal, Wigeon, Herring gull, Black-headed gull, Lesser black-backed gull, Great black-backed gull, Great cormorant, Canada goose, Eurasian curlew, Black-billed magpie, Blue tit, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Feral pigeon, House sparrow, Carrion crow, Common blackbird, Common starling and European robin.
 Arriving at the Marine Lake at Rhyl, the water could accurately be described as being like a mill pond. There wasn't much sun about, but the reflection in the water were superb, even those of the huger flock of Lapwings that circled above the water could be clearly seen.
Lunch was taken at the view point on the Foryd where benches had been provided. This was a bonus that we hadn't expected as the original plan was to sit on stones on the beach.
 Fruit cake was provided, despite the fact that only two of us needed an energy input to complete the return leg of the walk.
 The riverside path on the West side of the River Clwyd is more direct than that on the East side, and we were back at the cars in Rhuddlan by 14-00. 
 This wasn't good news as the Blue bell Inn at Halkyn doesn't open until 15-00 and Halkyn is only 30 minutes away from Rhuddlan even if you drive slowly!
 I arrived at Halkyn at 14-30, and sat in the car listening to the cricket for half an hour. It was quite good at at that time, and arrived at home just in time to see England collapse and India win the match and series.
 It's a good job that I waited for the Blue Bell Inn to open and I can look forward to enjoying some Gwynt-y-Draig's Black Cider as I watch the snooker on TV.
 As ever an enjoyable walk and if Tim hadn't made the trip from the Midlands to join us, I would have been Billy No Mates on the return leg!  I suppose I could have caught a bus back to Rhuddlan, but I didn't have my bus pass with me!

No comments: