About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Friday 26 June 2020

Harris Hikers Adventures (still solo for some) Friday 26th June 2020

A Walk Around the Bock to Get the i.
Is that a rainbow I can see?
A Winter wren still singing.
A Winter wren singing early in the morning.
The rising Sun, seen from Mold Junction Road Bridge.
Looking towards Chester from the Riverside Path, south east of saltney ferry footbridge.
The Sun rises above the Deva stadium.
Looking across the River Dee towards Chester from The Riverside, River Lane, Saltney.
My birds of the day - four young Barn swallows perching on the gutter.
Whenever you try to take a photo, thee is always one that won't coperate!
Distance: 2.4 miles. Climb: 34'.
Time: 1 hour 24 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.4 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 1.7 m.p.h.
Up at dawn, I noticed that the temperature outside didn't feel too oppressive, so I decided to set of early and do a short walk and buy a newspaper at the same time. Morrisons Petrol Station opens pretty early, so if I went past it on the way back, it might be open.
The Met Office suggested there could be rain at between six and seven, but I didn't believe it. It was a good job, I had an umbrella with me otherwise my hair would have got wet!
I set off at about 05-00 and was quite surprised to see quite a lot of traffic even at this early hour. Quite a few people were on their bikes, but i got the impression that most of them were on their way to work, rather than being on a time trial.
 Walking along Chester Road, Saltney Ferry, part of a feint rainbow could be see towards the south west. Was this telling me the rain has stopped in the south west, but its heading towards me?
As I went across Mold Junction Road Bridge at Saltney Ferry, the Sun was beginning to rise, probably giving the best views of the Sun as it came up.
Birds seen or heard today included: Collared dove, Woodpigeon, Common starling, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Black billed magpie, Carrion crow, Common blackbird, House sparrow, Winter wren, Jackdaw, Barn swallow, House martin, Herring gull, Lesser black back gull, European robin, Chiffchaff, Common whitethroat, Mallard and Great cormorant.
I arrived at Morrisons to find the Petrol station had opened early, so I could get my newspaper.
Arriving home, I was grateful to have completed my walk when the rain was extremely light and could almost be described as spotting with rain, but it was still enough to cause that once familiar smell of damp pavement to enter my nostrils and test my sense of smell.
Perhaps the birds of the day were seen from my back garden, when four young Barn swallows perched on the gutter waiting to be fed or want further parental guidance on what to do next.

No comments: