About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Friday 19 June 2020

Harris Hikers Adventures (still solo for some) Friday 19th June 2020

An Umbrella Walk With a Haggis Bonus.
A Greenfinch and a Barn swallow taking a rest - not quite obeying the social distancing directive.
 That's whee I am going, it doesn't look as though it is raining, but it was.
Young Barn swallows waiting to be fed.
River rain.
A Grey heron by The Cop on Sealand Road, Chester.
Eastgate Street, Chester.
Lower Bridge Street, Chester.
The Groves from the Old Dee Bridge.
A Grey heron in a Willow tree by the river off Castle Drive, Chester.
The Old Overleigh Cemetery.
Rain falling in a puddle on the track next to Chester Golf Course.
Rain still falling in that Puddle.
Puddles on the green at Chester Golf Course, but at least this couple had avoided them. 
The gentleman needed two puts on this green.
Looking over Saltney Quay towards my homeland.
Distance: 8.8 miles. Climb: 162'.
Time: 3 hours 55 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.8 m.p.h. Overall walk average: 2.2 m.p.h.
With a forecast of rain at about 13-00, I set off at about 08-00, hoping to compete the walk before then. Unfortunately the rain didn't know it was only suppose to come after lunch and I had to make use of my umbrella all the way from Saltney Ferry Footbridge into Chester.   I went into the market to see if the White pudding had been delivered, it hadn't, but Fernyhough, one of the butcher was back open, and yes I managed to buy a Haggis. So as they say, not even the rain could dampen my joy. 
After visiting the market, I decided to return home via the Old Dee Bridge, Edgar's Field, The Dingle and Chester Golf Course.
Road works everywhere in Chester, traffic going in places you don't expect and extra bollards being erected in Bridge Street. In theory part of the plan eventually to make the city centre traffic free and safer for pedestrians and cyclists (I anticipate them becoming an even bigger hazard than they are at the moment).
Briefly the Sun came out and my solar powered watch got a top up of juice. I was on the riverside path heading towards Saltney Quay, when the heavy rain came.  I was glad that for once, I wasn't wearing sandals.
Birds seen or heard today included: Barn swallow, House martin, House sparrow, Woodpigeon, Greenfinch, Carrion crow, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Common starling, Common pheasant, Chiffchaff, Moorhen, Grey heron, Lesser black back gull, Herring gull, Black headed gull, Great tit, Blackcap, Common whitethroat, Common buzzard and Black billed magpie.
Just after finishing this post, I rang Arden's Cooked Meats (another stall in Chester Market) and White puddings had arrived in today's delivery. Better still, he is going to deliver one to me on his way home later today.
I think I will really enjoy my breakfast on Saturday morning.

No comments: