About Me

My photo
When? Started: 1993 Who? Started with staff and friends from U H S, Chester. Organiser: Martyn Harris We walk every Wednesday and Saturdays, New Years day and May Day. How many walk? Walks take place as long as there are at least 2 wanting to walk on that day. More walk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. Most ever: 29. Current group size walking: 2-7 in mid-week and 2-4 on Saturday. Where do we walk? Saturday: Anywhere in North and Mid-Wales, Peak District, Shropshire and the Long Mynd and as far North as the Trough of Bowland. Thursday: Anywhere within about 40 miles of Chester. Type of walk: Distance: 6 – 14 miles (but usually under 10 miles). Climb: up to 4000’ (but usually very much less!). People involved on walks in 2024:- Martyn Harris, Fran Murphy, Sue and Michel Pelissier, Mike Dodd, David Savage,, Ed Meads, Nigel and Elaine Taylor, Winston Feather.

Saturday, 22 August 2026

Moel y Gaer and Halkyn Mountain 22nd August 2026.

First view of Moel Famau from Moel y Gaer, Rhosesmor.
Moel Famau from the ramparts on Moel y Gaer, Rhosesmor.
Wind turbines off the North Wales Coast.
Heading towards the twin masts on Halkyn Mountain.
Now heading towards the pylons on Halkyn Mountain.
The quarry on Halkyn Mountain looks rather different today.
The tree on the right is a berry laden Rowan with its leaves starting to have an Autumnal look about them.
It may look like the top of Moel Famau, but it's just one of many capped mine shafts on Halkyn Mountain.
Part of the many dykes criss-crossing Halkyn Mountain
I can see the mast at Windmill, so I hope this path takes me here I want to go.
At last,I can see the trig point on Halkyn Mountain.
Fitst selfie taken at the trig point on Halkyn Mountain.
The second selfie taken from the trig point on Halkyn Mountain.
Moel Famau from the trig point on Halkyn Mountain.
The trig point looks like it has had a recent coat of white paint.
The path to Windmill.
Evidence of the damaged caused by a wildfire on Halkyn Mountain near Windmill.
The extent of the wildfire damage near Windmill.
Not long before some much needed liquid refreshment.
The final selfie, taken in the Blue Bell with a pint of Lees bitter on the table.
Distance: 4.5 miles. Climb: 525'.
Time: 2 hours 3 minutes. On the move walking average: 2.7 m.p.h.
Overall walking average: 2.1 m.p.h.
Temperature: 14.6 Celsius at start.
18.8 Celsius at the end
Beaufort Wind Force: 2 - Max 6.6 m.p.h. Light breeze.
Birds seen or heard included: House sparrow, Wood pigeon, Barn swallow, Carrion crow, Raven.
As I hadn't sampled Lees bitter for some time, I decided to take a bus trip to the Blue Bell in Halkyn.
I set off on the 08-90 bus to Mold to catch the 126 Holywell bus at 10-20. This would get me to the Blue Bell before it opened at 12-00, so I got off the bus at Rhosesmor and went to the Blue Bell via Moel y Gaer and Halkyn Mountain. I explored lots of new paths on Halkyn Mountain, none of which were marked on the OS map.
Only three dog walkers and two cyclists seen today, but the surprise of the day was a young man on a unicycle.
Mainly overcast, but the Sun didn't come out fully till I was approaching the trig point on Halkyn Mountain.
The walk took past the area on Halkyn Mountain that suffered from wild fires. The strong smell of burned wood was still present.
I arrived at the Blue Bell, just at the right time, as the regular Blue Bell walking group were leaving. Thankfully, no problem finding a seat.
The pint of Lees bitter and a beef and onion batch went down well before catching the 14-30 bus back to Mold.

No comments: